Friday, January 6, 2012

Sources of Inspiration

Here's some people and things who inspire me....who or what inspires you? Send me a note I'd love to hear from you.


Me and my great grandmother Julia Jackson
Cookie jar doll circa 1960's created by my grandmother that sits in my studio


My grandmother Luanna Patricia Sykes
  1. My Grandmother....Luanna Patricia Sykes
  2. The bible....some of the best stories about life and people....best source for life direction
  3. My birthplace....Georgetown, Kentucky (especially sitting on Aunt MeMe's front porch) 
  4. Gallery and museum visits....always make me run home and get to work creating
  5. My mom....Katherine Roberta Sykes Arnold....one of the best story tellers I know
  6. The artwork of Romare Bearden, Aminah Robinson, William H. Johnson, Elizabeth Catlett, Betye Saar, Elijah Pierce and Alan Rohan Crite
  7. Children....they're always honest and their approach to art is always fresh and untainted
  8. My family....such encouragers and so full of love for me
  9. The writings of Maya Angelou, Sharon Ewell Foster, Claudia Mair Burney, Langston Hughes, Paul Lawrence Dunbar
  10. Travel.....travel.....travel...travel...travel...travel...travel...travel....travel....travel!

No comments: